by Sheri Heiney, President & CEO, Prescott Chamber of Commerce
With the holidays all around us, now is the perfect time to determine where you will shop. Where you choose affects the economy, the environment, and ultimately quality of life for the City of Prescott.
The Shop Prescott — Start Here has been created for just this reason.
Benefits of Shopping Locally:
1. Creates more jobs. Brick and mortar businesses are among the largest employers in the country and offer a multitude of jobs, particularly to those in the local community. Not only do these businesses employ more individuals, but they also are the customers of local accountants, wholesalers, farmers, printers, etc. Support your locally based businesses, and you will create jobs for your friends, your loved ones, and even yourself.
2. Keeps the community unique; lets it thrive. There is nothing more fulfilling than watching a community develop and thrive. Where you shop, eat, and have fun is what helps make your community a home, and adds a unique sense of character to the area. Plus, studies show that entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to settle in communities that recognize, support, and preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses, helping the community to continue to grow and be successful.
3. Local businesses give back. Locally based businesses are owned, operated and managed by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future. In other words, local businesses, no matter what, are more likely to “do good” for the community and support local causes within the community.
4. Achieves and receives more diversity. Typically, smaller businesses have a far greater diversity in products and services. Local businesses often add an element of surprise in their inventory because of their ability to be more diverse!
5. Supports you. Let’s face it, you’re not just supporting the local businesses, but you’re also in turn supporting yourself. Multiple studies have shown that when you buy from locally based brick and mortar business, a much greater chunk of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses, service providers, and farms, which helps to strengthen the economic base of the community. What else does this mean? A greater percentage of local businesses help keep your taxes lower and provide high-quality municipal infrastructure and services.
Fall in love with Prescott all over again, take advantage of everything the town has to offer, support the local businesses and just enjoy your hometown, Prescott!
For more information about the Prescott Chamber of Commerce, please visit www.prescott.org or call us at 928-445-2000 or 1-800-266-7534, or stop by the Visitor Information Center located at 117 W. Goodwin St., Prescott, AZ 86303.
The mission of the Prescott Chamber of Commerce is to provide leadership and resources to create a vibrant business environment for Prescott.