When summer finally arrives, no matter how much you’ve been looking forward to it, those hotter days can sap your energy for an extensive beauty routine or complicated, layered outfits.
Luckily, ‘tis the season for effortlessly cool and cute outfits, hairstyles and skin care that bring your natural beauty and confidence to the foreground. Here are some strategies for women and men to look their brightest and best in the summer sunshine!
- Find a moisturizer with broad-spectrum SPF protection of at least 30 with a tint to even out your complexion.
- Use sunscreen powder to reinforce UV protection on your face. But remember you should always start out the day with a traditional liquid product, using powder as a supplementary touch-up over makeup or in other situations where the gooey stuff isn’t practical.
- If you’re on the fair-skinned side and wanting to quickly and safely add a little color to your countenance, try a cream-based bronzer that can melt into your skin and be added to your all-in-one moisturizer to give you a natural look. A little blush on your cheeks will also pump up your glow.
- A somewhat loose maxi- or baby-doll dress in a bright color or print is supremely comfortable and easily adapted to multiple scenes in the same day — shopping, dining, traveling, and even some workplaces. Shoe, purse and jewelry choices shape perceptions of the dress, so as long as you keep a decent selection of accessories on hand you should be good to go!
- Polo and fitted button-down shirts can look great on men and women alike, but make sure you have the right fit. Polo shirt seams should fall right at the end of your shoulders and shouldn’t be either too tight or loose. Either style can work tucked-in for more formal occasions or left out for everyday errands and get-togethers.
- Don’t forget about hats! They’re not only essential for protecting your face from the sun, they look adorable on just about everyone.
- If your hair is long enough, try putting it up in a bun on the crown of your head or the nape of your neck for a classic, structured look that doesn’t take much effort to accomplish. If it’s not long enough on its own, a hair donut may be worth trying. It may be the default hairdo for a lot of people you know, but that’s because it works!
- Shorter haircuts, as in pixie cuts, short bobs or most mid-length or longer men’s cuts can be slicked back for a cool, under-control vibe. This look can withstand running, swimming, biking and a lot of other active moments, or else quickly be re-created, as needed.
- Crew or buzz cuts are the ultimate for staying cool and providing low-maintenance. It’s best to find an experienced barber or hairstylist if you’re looking for any kind of gradation within that shave, such as a fade or undercut, to get the look you want.