by Dan and Julie Hussey, Owners, Totally Floored
Here we are in Yavapai County living with a bunch of other people in this beautiful place. I have been here nearly half of my life, almost 30 years now. I have always considered it a privilege to live here in Northern Arizona. When you live in a place that is voted No. 1 in air quality by the EPA, it’s a privilege.
Then there is the easy access to hiking trails, the numerous off-road options, cool little lakes and streams and camping galore.
We have a vibrant economy, so if you are willing to work hard, you can make a good living.
We seem to have a passion for education, so we have a plethora of options for continuous learning.
If you can’t find a church, it’s not because you lack options.
All this is to say, “We all have a wonderful home here in Yavapai County!”
As always, wonderful things need maintenance to stay wonderful. We all need to play a part to keep our home a lovely place to live. What can we all do to play our part in maintaining and improving our neighborhood? Here are a few thoughts:
- Join a civic club. You can easily find like-minded friends who have a common interest. Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary and Soroptimists, just to name a few, are active in enhancing our home base. They give back, without much notice or recognition. They just do it because it’s good and right to give back.
- Volunteer your time and energy. Get involved with one or two of the many groups that believe in giving back. Assist at Yavapai Regional Medical Center; help build a hiking trail; pick up trash along the highway; teach a child a new skill; and on and on.
- Be happy. Yes, being happy is a responsibility. We all get cut off in traffic, and people do rude things (not us, those other people, LOL). But how we react is a choice. Sometimes I’ve been rude and short-tempered, but when I am, I am not making this a better place to live. In some small way, I become a taker, not a giver.
- Be a good neighbor. Be friendly and helpful. One of my neighbors takes our trash can out if we forget. That kind act just makes us feel wonderful. We realize we have someone close who cares. Do you have a neighbor to whom you can show an act of kindness? Do it today.
- Live in gratitude. Thank a police officer, a firefighter, a county worker, a city employee, your neighbor and God. Living in gratitude is one of those magical attitudes that just makes you feel better and makes our world a better place.
- Give your money to worthy causes. Donate, as you can, to groups that make a difference.
As for my wife and me, we thank you! We thank you for what you contribute to our livelihood and for making this an outstanding place to live our lives.
Reach us at email@example.com.