Medical testing often gets a bad rap, but it is very important when you need a diagnosis for a medical condition. The earlier a patient is diagnosed, the sooner treatment can begin. Often early detection can reduce the needed treatment. It can also mean the difference between life and death.
Tests can also help a doctor determine what is not wrong, ruling out any suspected issues.
Early detection is especially important in the case of breast cancer. While huge medical advances have been made in the treatment of breast cancer, nothing can happen until a proper diagnosis has been made. That’s why regular mammograms are recommended, especially for women older than 50.
According to the Mayo Clinic, findings from randomized trials of women in their 40s and 50s have demonstrated that screening mammograms decrease breast cancer deaths by 15 to 29%.
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force has recently released updated recommendations for mammograms for women who have no special risk factors:
- Women ages 50-74: One screening every two years.
- Women ages 40-49: Testing should be an individual decision.
- Women with a parent, sibling or child who has battled breast cancer are at a higher risk and may benefit from mammograms at an earlier age.
Dr. Maryam Emami here at the Thumb Butte Medical Center offers well-woman health care and can help you determine when you should get your next mammogram. Should the mammogram indicate there may be something of concern, it is not time to panic. Because of the nature of the mammogram test, false-positive results can and do occur. Dr. Emami will help you determine what your next steps are to verify any diagnosis.
Yes, We Accept New Patients
Finally, many doctors in the local area are not accepting patients. But that is not the case at Thumb Butte Medical Center. Whether you need a family doctor or a specialist, we welcome you. Please call for an appointment.
Prescott M-F, 7-5: 928-445-7085
Prescott Valley M-F, 8-5: 928-775-9007
Thumb Butte Medical Center is very proud to welcome several new medical practitioners to our team:
- Dr. Jaffrey Kazi, Gastroenterologist
- Dr. Ayad Agha, Interventional Radiologist
- Dr. Maryam Emami, Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor
- Dr. Joseph Machuzak, Dermatologist
- Dr. Amy Schlaifer, Urologist
- Dr. Savana Howe, Clinical Psychologist
- Cynde Gardner, DVM BCH Hypnosis Practitioner and Cancer Survival Therapist
- Carolyn Rodriguez, Audiologist
Coming Soon: Thumb Butte Radiology
In other news at Thumb Butte Medical Center, we will be opening our new Radiology Center. We will have a CT scan machine, which is the highest resolution CT scan available and is very helpful in detecting coronary artery disease. We will also offer high-end and quick MRIs, ultrasound and X-rays with Dr. Ayad Agha, an Interventional Radiologist.